The Church of San Sebastiano Martire Oristano was built in the late 16th and early 17th centuries and it is considered one of the oldest churches in Oristano.
The activities of the Church of San Sebastiano Martire are only recorded since 1615 on parochial books (years marked by the horrific plague epidemic), where data such as births, baptisms, weddings and deaths are reported. The same ecclesiastical building was erected and dedicated to the martyr invoked against this evil.
For several centuries, on January 20, St. Sebastian’s Day, a long procession from the Cathedral was directed to the church devoted to the Holy Father who on several occasions liberated our city from the plague.
The Church of San Sebastiano Martire Oristano has a recently restored façade with a single large nave to some small chapels on its sides.
The apse is directed towards the via mondi, sa ruga de is congiolargius, the ancient road which, as the name still remembers, was once occupied by the workshops of the ceramic artisans, famous all over the island but not only, They produced excellent crockery, pottery and terracotta jugs.
The entrance of the building is anticipated by a beautiful and large staircase of recent restoration. Once annexed to the Church of San Sebastiano Martyr, there was also an ancient cemetery gone missing.
An 1860-year-old, guarded church, records how the floods of the Tirso River, still lacking in solid winds, flooded the entire Rome square.
The entire isolation, occupied by the Church of San Sebastiano Martire, by its pertinences and other buildings in the streets Figoli, Mazzini, Vico Mazzini and Piazza Roma, until the 1950s constituted the theatre of the Order of St. Constantine, the traditional run of Horses running in the city on July 6 and 7 in honour of the Holy Emperor whose statue is still in church today.
Here the map to the Church of San Sebastiano Martire Oristano: